Guided by its mission “to develop and grow the Southern African and export markets
for light steel frame building” - as determined by industry - SASFA has embarked
on a wide range of activities, in collaboration with industry:
- Drafting of world class Codes and Standards required to ensure quality and acceptance
of Light Steel Frame Building by South African building authorities and financial
- Development of quality standards to ensure superior performance of Light Steel Frame
Buildings with regard to durability, thermal and acoustic properties and sustainability.
- Development of a Quality Checklist to assist builders and building inspectors to
ensure that structures are erected using good practice and according to specification.
- Establishment of a system of accreditation of its members to serve as recommendation
to developers, government departments, financial institutions and prospective home-owners.
- Liaison with financial institutions, government departments, the NHBRC, SABS and
CSIR to facilitate and promote rapid acceptance of Light Steel Frame Building.
- Creating awareness of the advantages and potential of Light Steel Frame Building
through media articles, papers at conferences, exhibitions and the SASFA website.
- Planning and implementation of the necessary training programmes to ensure properly
qualified artisans, builders and designers are available to this industry.
- Liaison with SASFA’s overseas counterparts, to stay abreast of latest developments
in other parts of the world.
- Knowledge acquisition from experienced overseas industries.
- Gathering and dissemination of information on products, equipment and practices
to assist the Southern African Light Steel Frame Building industry in using cutting
- Offering of an advisory service to the Light Steel Frame Building industry.
- Establishment of a reference library at the offices of the Institute of Steel Construction.
- Establishment of SASFA as an internationally recognized, professional, creditable
and respected association.